Working as a Pharmacist in Germany

© contrastwerkstatt -

Generally, every pharmacist who wants to work in Germany needs a licence issued by the regional authorities called “Approbation”. Pharmacists with a foreign pharmaceutical diploma or certificate need to have it recognised prior to starting to work. There is a responsible authority for the recognition in every federal state. The responsible authority will check the equivalency level of the qualification. If there are significant divergences in the qualification, the responsible authority might propose measures to compensate the gaps. Within the member states of the European Union (EU) and the states of the European Economic Area (EEA) the diplomas of pharmacists are mutually recognized if they fulfill the requirements regulated by the EC Directive 2005/36/EC.

Moreover, applicants need to give prove of their language skills in German. As to general language a level of GER-B2 is expected, in technical language candidates will have to prove a level of GER-C1. These levels are based on the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, CEFR or GER”. Non-German-speaking candidates have to pass an exam in German language skills. For more information about the process of recognition and the examination requirements please contact the responsible authority of the federal state you want to work in.

Additionally, citizens from outside the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) will need a work and residence permit and eventually a visa for entry, residence and employment in Germany. Please contact the diplomatic representation or embassy of Germany in your home country for details.